So my best friend posted about Obama today and I didn’t want to litter her comments with my thoughts so I thought I’d just write about it here.
Here are my thoughts about Obama’s presidency thus far:
1. I don’t agree with the funding for overseas abortions. Not because I’m pro-life or pro-choice, I’m actually in between there which is another post entirely. I just don’t think we need to send ANY money overseas!!
2. On his economic stimulus I am totally un-decided. I think spending the kind of money he’s talking about spending is terrifying in our already depressed economy. I fully believe we are in a full depression in many areas of the US so while I get the basis behind his bill and thought process, it terrifies me. The things I don’t necessarily like in it:
- I think there is a big misconception regarding some of the mining, etc… I live in a state with a decent economy. I wouldn’t say thriving because we are feeling some of it so we’re not un-phased. The reason our economy is managing is simple, we are the “Energy Capital of the Nation”. We have methane drilling, oil, and coal. I wish Obama would visit our city. Our air is clean, our ground is clean and green. Our coal mines are above ground, we don’t have pollution, we don’t have emissions testing or anything to that effect. They mine an area, then re-plant it, the area comes back much healthier. Methane runoff water is very clean, it’s not filthy like some suggest. I’m not sure there is such a thing as “clean coal” if there is we have it. It’s not like the strip mining of the past, they are regulated and must return the Earth to its natural state or better when they move.
- I am not a fan of handing out more checks to the American people. History has shown they won’t use it wisely. Those who are wise are going to put it toward a bill or save it. The majority will take it to Wal-Mart and buy a big screen TV built in Taiwan, or worse they’ll cash it and spend it on Meth. I think it’s throwing good money down the toilet.
- I am all for creating jobs, but what happens when the building is done? Those people are again un-employed. He’s talking about creating jobs that will require intensive training to be able to accept. Someone who’s worked for GM for 30 years is not going to be able to jump right in to a job using computers in a government building.
I don’t have many more thoughts on it. It’s not all bad, but those are the things that concern me about the bill.
3. I agree with the closing of the prison but I don’t want them on American soil… I believe we shouldn’t torture them and oversight is desperately needed, but please don’t bring them here!! Plus the people they are detaining in large part are or were a part of an organization who killed HUGE numbers of Americans on American soil. They aren’t remorseful… I don’t think we’re going to solve anything moving them, people are still going to hate them no matter where you are. Oversight in my opinion would be a better option.
4. I am happy to see him surrounding himself with staff and advisors with experience, he acknowledges he needs help and I REALLY admire that!!
All in all I am not horribly opposed to him. I never really was. I didn’t vote for him and am not sure I would change that now, but it could have been worse.
I am not liberal and I am not conservative, I consider myself moderate. I believe he is very liberal so I am always going to disagree with some of what he does, but over all he hasn’t done anything to make me stand up and say “oh crap!” 😉
One thing I will say, I think we are seeing a future administration as well. I think they are setting up Hillary’s administration in 8 years… I think the democrats have the first African American in office which is just amazing! In 8 years I think we’ll see them put the first woman in office, or at the very least try to. I am glad to be alive in a time when so many barriers are being broken down and I am happy to see my children raised in a country that can break down those barriers.
Because this is already really long, I’ll save my ideas on what I wish the administration would focus on, for tomorrow 😉